An organization who had developed an application using Moodle LMS (Open Source LMS in PHP) is looking to improve the LMS Application. They chose Moodle for their development as it is an open source and they wanted to customise the LMS to meet unique requirements.
- The organisation’s business plan was to offer this application to multiple organizations on a Software as a Service (SaaS) model. Though Moodle is a good LMS and offers customization, it lacks multi-organisation support. Contrary to their expectations, the customisation of the structure for multi-organisation support was very complex and tedious to achieve.
- The above raised two critical concerns:
- They are doubtful as to whether the business idea of offering the solution as SaaS to multiple organisations was feasible in Nigeria terms of implementation.
- The client was apprehensive about the expected delay in targeted deadlines to make the system GoLive due to the problems mentioned above.
- The organisation required a robust solution despite the delivery timeline being reduced. They wanted the system to be developed and integrated in short span of time.
- They had a roadmap in mind with many more modules slated to be added to the LMS. This required that the LMS be developed in a manner that the flexibility for adding further modules be built in.
After reviewing the requirements and concerns, we suggested the development of a custom LMS. Our thought process behind this suggestion is detailed below.
- To ensure custom LMS is not limited by the rules of traditional packages, the developers were allowed to build around content which enabled Viratec to meet the organisation’s precise requirements.
- In a traditional LMS, the developers had to follow the existing protocols and architecture when building a custom application. This was a time-consuming process compared to building something without architectural limitations.
- For a multi-tiered organization with a very descriptive work flow process looking to integrate user-friendly labels and designs into LMS, a custom LMS was definitely a better solution. The basic level customization in a traditional LMS consumes much more effort than developing it from scratch.
- A custom LMS allows the users and roles to be built around the existing workflow and approval process, which provides clarity and understanding to the users who are part of the workflow. This speeds up the adoption and increases the relevance of the new application developed.